Sunday, April 14, 2013
Spring Break
I had to journal about our Spring Break since we finally did something over Spring Break for the first time since Noah has been in school! (5 years!) Noah is our child who loves being entertained, who wants to know that fun things will happen each day. So, he was absolutely thrilled when I told the kids the week before spring break that we'd try to do something fun most days.
I told Noah and Amalie that they could each have a day to pick out what they wanted to do and a $10 budget attached to it. I thought it would be a good learning opportunity for them to see if they could stretch that budget.
And then the day after school let out, Noah threw up (the night of the Traditions Ball) Amalie got sick on Sunday and so Monday found us at home with two kids recovering from a nasty sickness. The kids were thrilled that I let them watch movies most of the day, since it is abnormal in our household. I figured they could at least have a fun day lounging if they had to be sick over spring break.
Tuesday, everyone seemed to be well, so we decided to do Noah's day. He'd started to feel much better the day before and had spent some time researching what we would do- he'd quickly found out that a lot of the "jump" house places were extremely expensive and that even with coupons, it was out of his price range. So, it was cool when he finally landed on a great idea that he was excited about.
He decided that we would go to see "Wreck it Ralph" at the dollar theater, even though he'd already seen it on a date with Brad. He really wanted the rest of us to see it. He was stoked when he found that Tuesday is discount day, so it was only a $1 instead of the normal $1.50. Since he would have $6 left over, he decided that before the movie, we would go to Mc Donald's for lunch and each of the kids would get $2 to spend.
They were in heaven! Once we got there, Amalie said she didn't feel too well, but I wasn't sure if she was just nervous about the movie. She doesn't do well in movies, the large screen and intense music seem to make the scary scenes too life-like for her. We'd formulated a plan, since Noah knew when the scary parts were, he would simply warn us and I'd take Amalie into the hall for a few minutes.
But she still seemed scared and didn't want to go to the movie. Then Gabe got in on it and was complaining as well that his tummy hurt so I started to worry that maybe he was coming down with something. The kids eventually ended up saying they wanted to go, so we went.
Our plan worked perfectly and Amalie had probably the best experience she's ever had a movie theater. There were a few more parts that scared her- she is super sensitive to any bad guys or when someone gets hurt. It makes me happy that she has such a compassionate heart that she can't bear to see "bad guys" or see others get hurt. But it went well. I was thankful everyone felt well during the movie. And maybe Gabe wouldn't get sick after all.
But as soon as I pulled up to the house, Amalie barfed. Thankfully it was just on the carpet of the minivan. She laid down on the couch and fell right to sleep.
But the next day, she seemed to feel just fine. So, on Wednesday, we headed up to meet Brad at Taco Bell on his lunch break. The kids were thrilled! But that night, Amalie threw up (just once, thankfully)
But on Thursday she woke up feeling fine again, and since the kids had wanted to hang out with their cousins and I was excited to hang out with my sister in law, we decided to meet at the park and play! The children had a blast together, exploring. It thrills me that they love each other so much! Each of them has a buddy. Kaitlyn and Amalie, Derek and Noah and Kai and Gabe each hung out together. They were begging to get together again, so we decided to meet up the next day as well.
Since Friday was to be Amalie's day to plan, she was dying to go to this cute frozen yogurt place called Menchie's. She is so interesting, because I thought she might want to stretch her money, but she wanted everyone to get as much yogurt as they wanted and we spent the whole $10 on three yogurts for the kids. She was so happy though! It's funny how she loves to spend her money on food, and Noah loves to spend his money on things and experiences.
I was so sad that I had forgotten the camera on all of our excursions and I was lamenting that fact at Menchie's when Noah suggested we use his ipod to take pictures. So finally we had proof that I was a fun mom for the first time over Spring Break.
I took a few pics and the kids just kept asking me to take more and more, so I posted a ton on here just for them to enjoy! After the kids finished their yogurts, we went to my sister in laws and the cousins played together again. It was funny that I was kind of done with Spring Break, feeling like I needed to get my house back in order and on a regular routine again, but I'd promised, so we were there and we all had a nice time.
Brad and I had a date planned for that night and since the cousins were having so much fun together- my brother and sister in law offered to watch them while we went out. So we cancelled our babysitter and went out. I can't believe how sweet my brother and sister in law are. When we came back, we found Gabey sick on the couch, he had thrown up while we were gone. I'd thought he'd missed the sickness, but unfortunately not!
My brother cleaned it up and they took wonderful care of our little "sickie".
So we started the week with sickness and ended it with sickness as well. But it was a fun week altogether. I'm just glad we finally did something fun over Spring Break!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a great idea to help your kids have fun and learn about money along the way!
Bummer about the being sick though. Hope you are all feeling better now.
Post a Comment