This year was the first year that I felt completely satisfied with our family's experience with General Conference. Several years back, I was really frustrated with the routine we had going, so I talked to some friends and asked for advice on how we could help make conference a meaningful experience that the kids look forward to. So, over the years we have implemented traditions that really make it a fun day and the kids do look forward to it. It's wonderful!
Everyone gets to pick out a treat to eat and share during the Saturday morning session of Conference. That's always fun for the kids. And this year, I think I finally lowered my expectations. I knew that the kids don't let us hear everything and so I knew what I didn't end up hearing, I could thankfully go online and listen to later. That helped. (Instead of yelling at my kids to be quiet so I can listen!)
I did, however get upset when after the first session, I wanted everyone to quickly clean up the mess we'd made (food, toys, blankets, Legos all in our bedroom) and then we'd go and get our customary pizza. They were dragging, so I got pretty annoyed. But thankfully, since we'd just had conference, I remembered to pray for a clear perspective and that I'd actually feel sorry enough to apologize (My pride is so annoying, geesh!!!) And my sweet family quickly forgave me, cleaned up and we got pizza and played at the park. It was lovely!
We don't expect the children to listen to the 2nd session on Saturday, in fact I encourage them to go play outside, so I can pay attention. Gabe napped while we watched and I did feel a little bad when I fell asleep the last hour of Conference. What can you do? It's just so soothing.
Then on Sunday morning, Noah made pancakes for everyone, which we enjoyed with Knott's Boysenberry Syrup (Oh yum!) and since I rarely make breakfast, it was a special treat. We enjoyed the first Sunday session, and I was touched by the announcement about the age change for missionaries. It's so exciting! It makes me wonder if I would have served a mission, if that rule had been around when I was a young adult, since I would have LOVED to!
We went for a lovely walk on the Provo River Trail in between sessions and then enjoyed the last session together and afterwards enjoyed a yummy crock pot dinner. I felt like it was the first year it all ran smoothly. It was just lovely and made me feel so happy that after years and years of trying, we are finally having some sweet successes.
3 comments:
Yay for sweet success! You and your family are such a great example to me-- always trying to be the best you can in every aspect of life. I appreciate you so much!
Thanks Alyssa, that comment just made my day!
Great ways to make conference enjoyable!
Post a Comment