Sunday, May 20, 2012

California Trip-Part One

 In May, we had the luscious opportunity to go to California for my sister-in-laws wedding.  Now, I know some people might be jealous that I got to go to Southern California, but for me, it isn't the beaches that draw me there.  Instead, it's our families.  Brad and I both grew up in Southern California and as much as we loved it, really the only reason we go back is to see our awesome families.  It no longer feels like home there, even though it is homey since every single person in each of our families, is so welcoming and makes us feel as though we belong there. 

I'm lucky that my sister and her family live in Vegas, so we can break up the looooong drive.  I expected the kids to have a tough time, but surprisingly they did really well!!  That made the trip all the more enjoyable.  I normally bring a bunch of books on tape for me to distract myself during the long drive, but I had been so busy before our trip, I hadn't even been able to stop by the library and pick some up.  It actually ended up being fortuitous as we talked with the children more and just enjoyed being together. 

We spent the night at my sister, Amy's house.  It is so awesome that the cousins love each other so much and adore being together.  It was hard to leave the next day, since the kids really wanted to stay and play and I wanted to stay and chat with my lovely sister.  They make us feel so good that they want us to stay longer!

But we did leave and then got to see my other lovely sister, Lorelle.  My sister and her family are awesome.  They welcomed us with open arms.  The kids had a blast playing in their magical backyard, with puppies and hammocks and all kinds of cool stuff to do.  I love that I feel so welcome in my siblings homes.  And not only welcome, but wanted!  It is such a deliciously sweet feeling.



It was a special treat that I got to see my brother after he got off work.  We don't often get to see each other, but when we do, I always have so much fun talking with him. 

That night we headed down to Brad's Dad's house.  It's so fun to arrive, because the kids' Papa and Bubby are always so thrilled to see us.  (Well, maybe more the kids than Brad and I, but still it makes us feel so good.)  They go to great lengths to make us comfortable in every way, and I got in a nap and some nice relaxation while Brad and Papa and Bubby took care of the kids.  It was absolutely lovely.  While our visit was short, it was very sweet.




No comments: