It cuts me deeply because I was one of those callous jerks growing up who tormented my little brothers and I remember that my words cut like knives. But I really didn't get it. But later on, when I became an adult and especially when I had children, I felt tremendous remorse at my awful behavior and have since repented, but I DO NOT want a repeat in my home. I refuse to let anyone in our home feel belittled and that they are of no worth. Tonight it happened again, Noah was being a jerk and made some really unkind comments about Amalie. I talked with him about it, and had him do service for her, and a few other extra chores, but he just doesn't get it.
Any advice? Do I just need to be patient and eventually it will kick in? I would love to hear your ideas, and of course I will be on my knees tonight as well. Love and thanks,
Kate
4 comments:
I have no words of wisdom, I am dealing with unkind words myself...except they are directed at us, not siblings. Fun stuff!
I have the same issues with Eli and Cole. I'd be curious to hear any idea's that you get too!
Good to know I am in good company!
Wish I had some great advice. It's really different for each kid. That's whats hard about it. We've had a lot of progress here. Not sure whats worked. Some new things are encouraging the kids to "rock their halo" everyday and following up. Reminding them to be just a little better each day as president Hinckley asked. We talk about family everyday. How we need to support one another, build one another,and we don't fight with each other, we fight for each other ( I gotta put that on the wall.) I really stress loyalty to family. I don't bother making them apologize because they are being forced. The same thing for service. It's forced and if you could read there minds, they aren't to happy about I, probably think bad thoughts and usually tell you the parent what you only want to hear and not what they are thinking. I've found waiting until or a one on one moment later to once again talk about our family relationships and building and wrecking and such. I try not to call out the kid but I will sometimes one on one. Oh and we talk about Laman and Lemuel and Nephi alot!!!!! We really have had great improvement here.
Post a Comment