When Gabe turned two,
I felt lucky
because he is such a good natured boy.
His smiles come easy
and fill up my heart
He's so easy going
I thought the hard part was over.
When he was younger than a year
he explored every cupboard
and up went the baby locks
and I thought we were done.
But we're not.
Because guess what?
He discovered the cupboards!
He slides a chair up to the counter
and climbs on,
explores every cupboard
and like a magician
makes candy appear out of nowhere
and I find him
after he eats it
and the counters are littered
with wrappers and boxes
that he has opened
of pasta, and powerbars
and whatever looks interesting.
and whatever looks interesting.
So its getting tough around here
especially the day
when he sat on a library book
when he sat on a library book
and ripped the pages
the book cost $22
the thought made me sick
because the book looked brand new
and I knew they would make me replace it
but I said a prayer
to remember what was important
and really it's him
and not $22
but sometimes its hard to see
when he's throwing whole rolls
of toilet paper in the toilet
and screaming
and my ears are ringing
and yet-
that smile
can wipe my frustrations away,
and my prayers for a greater perspective
will be answered
will be answered
and I know
that this too will pass
and soon enough
I will be wishing
he was little enough to hold
and missing
his fuzzy head.
his fuzzy head.
So I will keep praying
and loving
and cherishing
and yes,
I will still get mad.
But I am okay with that
as long as I remember
this will not last.
And I will miss it
and him.
And someday I will laugh about it
and tell him that I hope his kids
will pay him back.
And they will
and then I will be
laughing
and
laughing.
1 comment:
How sweet. The many faces of Gabe. What a fun boy. But that must have been tough to see that library book in shreds.
Post a Comment