Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ode to Noah

Dear Noah,
I wanted to write about you and the boy you have become. Just after Christmas, I was leaving town to go visit my sister and my family and to see baby Jacob be sealed to your Aunt and Uncle. Daddy had to work, so we asked our trusty babysitter, Abbie to watch you and your siblings while he was at work. Daddy and I were a little nervous to have you babysat two whole days. So, we gave you and Amalie an incentive that if you were both really good, we would do something special when I got back from my trip.

For some reason, you really took this to heart and not only were you good while I was gone, but when I came home, sleep deprived and exhausted, you continued to be on your best behavior. The day after I came back, I slept and slept and slept. You willingly helped your siblings and fed them breakfast, while I slept in. When I finally got up, I went downstairs to tell you I was going to take a shower. The downstairs was a mess, but I didn't even mind because I had gotten the precious commodity of sleep.

You agreed to continue watching the children while I took a shower. I took a long, lengthy hot shower, perfect for a snow stormy day. When I entered the bedroom, I realized there was a note on my newly-made bed.

"We cleaned your room for you. Love, Noah and Amalie," the note said. My heart felt full to bursting as I looked around the room and discovered what you had done. I gave you and Amalie huge hugs when you came back in the room.

You continued to show an amazing amount of self control and wonderful behavior for the next six weeks. It was incredible. I had always thought eight was a little young to be baptized, but after seeing this amazing display of self-control, maturity and compassion, I thought otherwise.

Even though sometimes we clash, mostly because I want you to do something and you sometimes dawdle, I am just so grateful I got to see this side of you. I know you are capable of amazing things and seeing this beautiful glimpse, I feel even more love and awe for you.

One thing that has always impressed me about you is that you have such compassion for other people. Even as a four year old, I remember going to the store with you to pick out presents for your friend's birthday parties and you ALWAYS picked out something they would want, not just what you would want. It didn't matter boy or girl, or toy that you didn't care about, you were always aware of what that person liked.

Recently you earned quite a bit of money, by participating in an ad that will be run on Youtube in the near future. Well, the day you cashed your check, you had earned an outing with Daddy for having such good behavior the last few weeks. You were going to go to the movies, but once you had that money in your hands, you just had to go shopping. So, Daddy took you. He gently suggested that since Amalie didn't get to go out, that you might want to get her something. So you did. You picked out a Lego minifig that she wanted and a sucker for her. It was gratifying to see you spend your precious money on your sister.

I appreciate that so much. I know we come down hard on you sometimes and often my patience wears thin. But I am so grateful you frankly forgive me. You are becoming such an amazing boy. I am so proud and ever grateful to be,
Your Mama

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful experience for all :)