Thursday, March 17, 2011

Scouting Family

When Noah was just a little tyke, Brad was called to be a Webelos Den Leader. Little Noah loved seeing the Cub Scouts all dressed up in their dark blue, scout uniforms. So, one day at DI, I saw a Cub Scout uniform and we bought it for Noah. It was huge on him, but he LOVED it and begged to wear it to Scouting events. Brad resisted, letting Noah know that he could wear it at other times, but until he was an actual Scout, he would have to wait to wear it at Scouting events.

A few years later, Brad was called as an Assistant Scoutmaster for the Boy Scouts. I had been a little bummed that he stayed in this position for so long since I really want to work with the Young Women. And I can't be called to do so, since my husband is gone at conflicting times. And then right after the Ward Christmas party, I was asked to be a Den Leader for the Cub Scouts. I was so bummed! I had been stressed out of my mind, just with my little family and now this? I really didn't want to accept, but I felt like I should, so I did. It just never even occurred to me that I would be called to Scouts. I guess I should have seen it coming since Noah was about to turn eight and begin Cub Scouts. The one good thing about it was that my co-den leader would be my good friend, Molly. So, I had one good thing to look forward to.

When I got set apart, I had a sweet blessing that I would have time to do all that I needed. That was reassuring since my life already felt full- at least stress wise.

I was nervous for more than a month until I started. After complaining in front of Noah, I realized I needed to hide my dismay and nervousness from Noah, since he was so EXCITED to finally be in Cub Scouts. I didn't want to take away his excitement just because I was a Negative Nelly. The day I had my first den meeting, I was pretty stressed. I was sure I wouldn't like Scouts and would just have to endure. I busied myself doing all the things I had to do that day. One of which was to call my insurance office to make an appointment. Somehow, when I talked to the guy at the office, it came up that I was new to cub scouts. What followed was such a tender mercy. The man told me how he had actually run away from that calling and finally accepted it and was so grateful he did, because he LOVED it. I don't know why, but that was so comforting to me. And I realized that I could love it. I could make it fun.

My first den meeting was awesome. Noah's den leaders were a huge help to me. And the boys, oh the boys. I adore them. They are just so enthusiastic and excited for life. They accepted me easily as if I had always been around. Their conversations crack me up. And I find that I am loving Scouts. I NEVER thought I'd be a Scout mom. But here I am, loving life.

A few weeks into it, I realized that I felt so happy and non-stressed. I had been writing every day which hadn't happened in a long time. It just felt like I had more hours in the day. And then I remembered my blessing I had received. It was so humbling to realize that when the Lord asks us to do something and we do it, even when we don't want to, He pays us back ten fold. It is incredible. And then I wonder, 'Why don't I trust Him more?' I am so grateful that He knows me better than I know myself and gives me experiences that will benefit me in so many ways.

1 comment:

me said...

There is also the blessing of tht wonderful shirt you get to wear. It's so flattering!