Saturday, December 25, 2010

Historic Provo Tabernacle


Ever since Brad and I moved here over eleven years ago, we have been going to the Provo Tabernacle for Stake Conferences every so often. Then when we moved to our current home, we attended Stake Conference usually once a year here. Brad and I have always been fascinated with this historic building built so many years ago by pioneers. It is beautiful and has a lot of interesting detail inside.

We came at the beginning of December to see a Living Nativity presentation. We had wandered around the grounds, checking out the live camel that was there. And then only three weeks later, came news of the fire. The roof had collapsed and officials were confident it could not be saved. My heart just sunk.

Brad and I had an Anniversary date that night and our activity fell through, so after our dinner we drove down to see what state the Provo Tabernacle was in. I was shocked to see that 16 hours after the fire department had been notified, the building was still burning. I stood with tears in my eyes as we watched this beautiful building burn. I don't think I've ever felt so sentimental about a building. It was heart rending to see the whole roof GONE, stained glass windows melting away by the flames licking the windows.


On Christmas Eve day, we decided to take the children to see what was left of the Provo Tabernacle. I was stunned that Amalie and Noah were both so upset by it. Amalie kept telling me "my heart is crying" for the next two days because of the building being destroyed. Noah was visibly upset as well. We had to get a family picture in front of this building that had meaning for us.

*If you compare the first and last picture, you can visibly see the difference much more.

No comments: