So Noah made his art project and he was super excited about it. He kept asking "Do you think I'm going to win?" I didn't know what to say, because I was bummed that he hadn't taken the time and effort to do his original idea. So I told him exactly that.
Over the next week, Noah continued to be excited and continually asked me if I thought he would win. It was frustrating at the time, but now I realize he wanted my acceptance. Unfortunately, I wasn't very supportive as I felt he wasn't living up to his potential.
Then I got a message from the school. Apparently Noah had won some kind of honor and they wanted me to attend the special assembly they were having. They also asked me to keep it a secret from Noah until it was announced at the assembly.
As I told Brad that night, he joked, "Well, that will teach him not to procrastinate!"
I laughed too, but I really felt nervous about how I should show support. Where was the line between 'I'm proud of you' but 'I think you could do better' ? As I prayerfully asked for help and consulted my mom as well, I found a balance. I told Noah very honestly that for the time he had given himself, he did a beautiful job, then I expressed the thought that if he had given himself more time and started earlier, he could have done an even more amazing project.
After letting him know that, I was free to celebrate and rejoice with him when we attended the assembly and learned he had won an honorable mention. I could fully rejoice with him in his accomplishment. He was of course, THRILLED. But I think I was even more thrilled when he said, "I'm going to start earlier next year so I can win!"
No comments:
Post a Comment