Thursday, March 21, 2013

Island Paradise

When I was a child, we would go and make the twenty-something hour drive to visit my grandparents in Washington.  They lived in a place that felt magical to me.  We would drive our car onto a humongous ferry boat.  Immediately, we would pile out of the van and go upstairs and stand on the deck and watch the ocean below as we neared closer to one of the most beautiful places I have ever been- Vashon Island.  My sisters and I would roam the acres of woods my Grandpa owned, spotting beautiful deer, giant slugs, racoons and all sorts of wildlife.

Tromping through those woods always gave me the feeling that at any moment, something amazing and wonderful and magical might happen.  Well, it's been a lot of years since I have gotten to visit- my beautiful grandma is now in heaven and I have been wanting to visit my Grandpa for some time.  It felt an impossibility for quite some time, but at the beginning of 2012, I wrote a list of goals I had (no matter how improbable they seemed) and I had such a wonderful feeling as I wrote down this particular goal.  I felt that I could pray for this to happen and now, a year later, it has!

My sister, Lorelle and I decided to come together.  It seemed like everything that could go right did.  I had wonderful friends who watched my children the day I left, and then Brad picked them up and watched them the rest of the weekend.  My sister and I found flights coming in within minutes of each other and leaving only an hour apart (even though we were coming from two different states), that was such a blessing as we wanted to share a rental car.
As we drove onto the ferry (this is the South ferry to Tacoma), it was so exciting.  And then as we drove onto the Island, oh the island.  I wish everyone could go there.  The islanders think it isn't very green at this time of year, but to me?  Oh, it's luscious and beautiful and magical and wonderful.  My grandpa was so happy we'd come to visit- he thanked us numerous times and made us feel so special.  My sister had planned it so we could be there to celebrate his 93rd birthday.  It was pretty dang special!
We enjoyed visiting with my grandpa and meeting his caretaker, Debbie who is just like a little mama to him.  It's so comforting to know he's in capable hands.  Lorelle and I were able to get in some wonderful sister time and explore our old stomping grounds a bit.  It was just as magical as it had been when I was a kid. 
One day, I went outside to take a little run and as I walked around the property, the woods quieted my heart.  I had to stop and just be.  It was easy to stop and ponder on this beauty.  It was easy to start praying and to contemplate the wonder of God's creations.  My heart felt full to bursting as I literally turned in circles, taking in my surroundings in awe. 

This is the old barn that my grandparents converted into a home.  It is amazing to me how handy my grandpa is.  We were looking at old pictures of my grandpa's boat- I had only realized recently that he built it himself and I was astonished.  My sister and I were asking who taught him how to build a boat and he just laughed.  He is that mechanically minded that it seemed simple enough to him.  That is not how my brain works, so it baffles me!  But I am impressed at those who have that talent!
We went on beautiful walks each day, my Grandpa in his scooter, as he has a harder time getting around each day.  I just felt so blessed that Lorelle and I could visit him together and that our sweet families were so supportive so we could do this. It was a short weekend, and it flew by, but it was absolutely wonderful!
(And a fun little bonus, we even got to meet my Mom's high school sweetheart, that was fun!)
It was an amazing trip and I am so thankful for everyone who made it happen!

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Wow, I didn't realize your grandfather is 93! Amazing. I'm so happy that it was such a great trip for you. I agree-- western Washington is always beautiful and green!