Friday, November 11, 2011

Tutorial: How to make a snowman out of play-dough

As some of you know, I struggled over what to do with Amalie since she missed the Kindergarten deadline this year by a mere four days.  She is so ready for school, oh so ready, and I wondered if our days would be really hard.  I had already done Joy School for two years with Ami and since we are pinching every penny, pre-school wasn't an option.  I applied for the free pre-school, but Ami was just too advanced.

So, my sister had a great suggestion that I have scheduled school time each day with Amalie.  It felt so right the more I thought about it, so I worked out a schedule for me to sit down and have school each day with Amalie, and honestly it was a heaven sent idea. Knowing that she had my undivided attention for just a half hour, was wonderful for Ami.  Not to mention the perk benefits of studying Reading, Math, Science, Ballet, Art & Writing.

Well, a few months into it, we are not as structured as we were.  But we try to do something every day.  So on this particular day, we were doing Art and Reading.  Amalie begged to do play-dough, so we got it out.  I told her I would make her a mouse and then I realized that I wasn't quite sure how to do it, so on to youtube we went.  We watched a tutorial on how to make a mouse out of clay.  Amalie had a hard time shaping the mouse, so I suggested she try a snowman and showed her how to roll the dough into a ball.  She was having a blast making snowmen when she said, "Mom, we should go on youtube."  I kept insisting that I was already on the youtube page and then I finally understood.  She wanted to BE on youtube.  Oh boy.  Well, I told her I wasn't ready for that, but that I would make a video and then put it on my blog.

I was dying as I filmed.  I couldn't believe how well she did!  Oh my goodness, this girl CRACKS me up.  What a ray of sunshine I have in my life!

3 comments:

lynn said...

So cute - but my sound is not working on my computer so I am sure I missed the very best part!!!

Jill Ison said...

she is so incredibly cute! thanks for the peek into your world.

me said...

So glad she corrected the nose. I was thinking it was a bit long for a snowman unless he was related to Pinnochio.