Tuesday, March 30, 2010

6.5 months

Baby Gabe! You are six and a half months old. And finally sitting up. Hooray! Yesterday you sat up for a good two minutes or so until you crashed painfully to the carpeted ground. Noah was right there, so he immediately came and comforted you. Still, it is hit and miss with you. Sometimes you absolutely refuse to be put down to sit and play- you desperately grab for my arms to pull yourself up to a standing position. Thankfully we have a bouncer for you that you can stand in and play with toys. It's fun to see you really reach for things now and play with toys.

You have two teeth now! Your first tooth came in at 4.5 months and the next came in a few days after you turned 5 months. You look adorable with your little chompers, but they are painfully sharp as I have discovered. (You love to bite me when my milk runs out) I thought we would hold off on solids until you were six months old, just because I figured if you didn't care, why make extra work for myself? But a little while after your five month mark, you started waking up three times a night acting desperately hungry. I started giving you solids and you were quickly sleeping better at night. You love everything you have tried, even though at first it took you a while to get used to eating food. Rice cereal, peas, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, squash, applesauce. You love it all! It's so fun to see your mouth open so BIG when I get that baby spoon out and spoon up a taste of food. You look like an adorable little baby bird.

Your naps have been for the last month on a nice regular schedule and I am lovin' it! You are so easy to put down. I just swaddle, give a snuggle and lay you down. You are usually asleep within minutes. If you cry for more than a few minutes, I know something is wrong. (It only took us five months to get to this point!) It is very nice that I feel I know you pretty well now. Of course, you often throw me curve balls, but for the most part, I am getting the hang of you.

You are getting very attached to me. Recently we had a bunch of family come visit and I started passing you around. You ended up getting pretty upset. You would search for me and stare at me, leaning towards me with pleading eyes to please help! I'm glad you rely on me, but I was sad I couldn't share you more with others! I was sad they didn't get to hear your darling laugh and see your huge open mouthed smile.

One of my favorite things to watch is the interaction between you and your siblings. They ADORE you. Everyone told me how much Noah needed a sibling but it wasn't until he got one that I realized how wonderful it is. It's the same with Amalie-she really needed a younger sibling, she is blossoming as she nurtures you and learns how to share, how to tend and comfort you. The children will often entertain you while I get some much needed rest. It is such a blessing!

You are such a blessing to our family with your quick smile, your beautiful wide eyes and your love and devotion for us. I sure love you.
Love,
Mom

2 comments:

lynn said...

Thanks for sharing, Kate. It is so fun and satisfying to get udated on little Gabe. I am glad we got to hear his adorable laugh - thanks to Grandpa's tickles. I love that picture - it is so sweet!

papa and bubby said...

Kate, We love your writing skills and the update on the childrens growth. You are the very, very best Mom!